Saturday, May 1, 2010

Funny thing about body builders

In my experience, I've never heard people actively involved with bodybuilding or weight training complain about pain. I suppose any complaint would fall on deaf ears because this is a choice and if you make it, why bitch about it? I'm going to bitch. Well, no, I'm not going to do that, I'm just going to be forthcoming, in the interest of full disclosure, in an effort to offer complete candor. My workout schedule continues to include sessions on Mon. and Tues., I rest Wed., then I return to the gym Thurs. and Fri. I've been using the Fri. session to really push hard because I then have the weekend to recover. This past Fri., I did 3 long sets of traveling lunges and squats with two 10 lb. dumbbells. I also did 3 sets of single leg squats (a.k.a. Bulgarian split squats) with one leg resting behind on a bench while I held 15 lb. dumbbells in each hand. That was me, emphasizing lower body work. I also did some upper body work, but none of that resulted in pain like what I'm experiencing right now in my quads and glutes. So, to avoid leaving the impression that this is all a breeze, that I trot into the gym and trot out, barely producing a sweat, I would like to reveal that I am, in fact, suffering. And often I'm dripping wet. But none of this exceeds what I can handle and there's even a perverse sense of satisfaction in it. I admit that I feel disappointed if I don't have some pain during the first and second days following a perceived tough workout. "No pain, no gain" holds true. However, the considerable muscle aches can make the weekend a little bit more challenging.

No comments: