Friday, May 14, 2010

The older men, oops, I mean gentlemen

I'm at the gym this afternoon, pulling some 10 lb. weights off of a Smith machine, then attempting to slide 45 lb. weights onto each side. It's a bit awkward to lift them because the bar is set high, so I struggle slightly, but I get one side done. Then an older man, a species from now on to be referred to as an older gentleman, comes over to me. "I know you're independent, I know you can do this, but let me help you, even though you're independent." I'm a little surprised because this suggests he has been spying on me from about 25 feet away. "That's fine, I never turn down a favor," I said. He stuck the weight on the bar and walked away as I thanked him. Now, what is it about the impulses belonging to older gentlemen? A younger guy never would have done something like that. Does a guy grow bigger balls as he ages, cuz I thought it was the other way around, hahaha. Anyway, the gym can be a lonely place sometimes and it's almost always a pleasant experience when someone makes a little small talk or offers a favor. It seems that people of a more senior generation understand that, and I, for one, am grateful.

No comments: