Monday, May 10, 2010

In Trouble with Ed

"Are you current with the posts on my blog?" I asked Ed King today when our training session started. I just wanted to know if he's aware of what went on over the weekend. "Yes, I'm current and we need to talk about that," he said with a slightly admonishing tone. Uh oh. I'm in trouble. Actually, I wasn't too terribly worried. The great thing about Ed is that I feel like he's completely on my side. He's not dogmatic, he's highly supportive and he honestly cares about his clients' success. "You can't suddenly carb deprive yourself," he said. The problem, he explained, is that I've reached a point in my training where my body is like a finely tuned machine and my metabolism works at an efficient rate that requires carbs for fuel. There's not much fat to draw from either, so there's less margin for error. "What you did is like trying to drive a car on an empty tank." Yikes! "Eat yer carbs!" is his new mantra for me. I don't know why I did that last week. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. Plus, I didn't think for a minute that it would have those consequences. I ate plenty of carbs before today's intense training and I did fine. I've learned from my mistake.

No comments: