Thursday, April 1, 2010

Body parts

I am struggling with the upper body/lower body split whereby a single workout is devoted to one or the other. The problem is that I'm so conditioned to do full body workouts that I don't feel balanced if I stray from that formula. I think I also might fear devoting that much work one half of me. I feel that if I spread it around, I won't risk overdoing anything. However, I'm no stranger to the occasional overdone act. With weight lifting, it's mostly impossible to know what "damage" you've done until the next day when maybe you can't walk right because your quads are fried or your back is aching. That blind aspect is a little unnerving, although it certainly doesn't make me shrink from any activity. In fact, I really like the tight feeling that comes with a great workout, and that's usually the result I leave with and/or feel the next day. I'd even say that I'm disappointed if I feel nothing the next day. I had a conversation with Ed King (King's Gym) about this - the no pain, no gain principle - and he largely confirmed it. Without some discomfort, a muscle isn't being broken down. Instead, it's only in a conditioning mode where you are maintaining it rather than increasing its size. Of course, my goal is to increase dimensions. Glenn (Bodywize Training) suggested a week composed of Mon. devoted to upper body, Tues. devoted to lower body and Thurs. and Friday as full body workouts. I think that might be a nice middle of the road solution for now.

No comments: