Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mid-life Crisis?

Recently, I told a friend in an email about my body building activities. Her reaction?
"You're doing WHAT!? What possessed you? Are you having a mid-life crisis? You know there are other ways to have a crisis other than this...like, lots of shopping therapy, huge trips, alcohol, young men. Really, the choices are endless. This is very creative. We will need to discuss over massive amounts of wine what you are up to!" That will be next week. Of course, I won't be drinking massive amounts of wine on my present diet, but I can have one glass if I play my calories right that day. I find her reaction entertaining because it's not easy to surprise a close friend, even though that wasn't my intention. I've already heard the mid-life crisis comment, first from my husband, but I deflected it completely. Can this possibly qualify as a crisis? Wouldn't I know for certain if it was one? Are people's reactions more a reflection on themselves than on me? It doesn't really matter, but it's a strange occurrence to be accused of having a crisis when you don't believe you're having one.

No comments: