Thursday, April 8, 2010

Measures of progress

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to walk tomorrow, but there are no guarantees. It was a lower body workout today with Glenn and he maxed me out. Lunges with 25 lb. dumbbells in each hand. Squats with toes pointed out and the same dumbbells in play. Squats with hands clasped behind my neck then leaping up in the air. Plus several other exercises that I'd never do on my own - out of fear, wimpiness and disbelief that I could actually do it. We also talked about measuring my body composition next week - yippee! I raised the topic because I'd like to quantify my progress. The scale has become meaningless with the potential loss of fat but gain of muscle. The two can neutralize each other with a static reading on the scale, so weight alone is no longer a measure of anything except gravity. I'll do another bikini shot next week, too, either to shame me into harder work or to mark some real progress. Not sure which way it will go.

No comments: