Monday, April 19, 2010

Body weight used as resistance



Yesterday at King's Gym, Ed King whipped out the TRX suspension trainer. I've used it once or twice before with him, so I know it's an intense workout. At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I offer a brief summary of its merits, largely lifted from its own marketing material. Born in the U.S. Navy SEALs, suspension training is a revolutionary method of leveraged bodyweight exercise. Easily set up, the portable TRX® Suspension Trainer™ puts you in control. One can safely perform hundreds of exercises that build power, strength, flexibility, balance, mobility and prevent injuries, all at the intensity of one's choosing. Weighing less than 2 lbs., the TRX® delivers greater performance and functionality and sets up in seconds. OK, with that out of the way, I can attest to the deceptive nature of the workout. It looks easy but it ain't. One might think that weights deliver the best form of resistance, but one's own body weight can be equally as challenging. We did some super sets, moving from the suspension trainer to weight machines or to complimentary exercises using a bench (step ups and tricep presses). By the end of the hour, I was fried. And that's the key to having a trainer. He pushes me harder than I could ever push myself.

No comments: