Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Little Miss Sunshine

Over a recent dinner with my parents, my dad stated that I am a "Little Miss Sunshine" in the context of a bodybuilding competition. In case you are not familiar with the movie, it's about a little girl who dreams of competing in a beauty pageant that also includes a performance portion. The only problem is that the little girl is a complete misfit among all the other well-qualified, pretty girls. But this is her dream and she competes anyway, having her moment of fulfillment. I did not take kindly to this comment as I find it hurtful, disrespectful and highly unnecessary. While I do not require anyone's approval or support with this undertaking, I also don't need them to trash my effort. If you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut. But the net effect is that I'm even more firmly resolved and committed to my goal.

No comments: