Friday, March 26, 2010

Weight loss? What weight loss?

I've been eating extremely well for about a month and I haven't lost a pound. Hmmmmm. What's that all about? I'm completely mystified. Glenn (Bodywize Training) told me not to weigh myself every day which was good advice, so I've only been getting on the scale about twice a week. But in the last two weeks, I've dedicated myself to 4 solid weight work outs in the gym (2 with trainers, 2 without) which have certainly raised my heart rate and burned calories. However, this is a departure from what I formerly did which was 3 days of weights in the gym, 3 days of cardio. I fully intended to reinstate some cardio, it was just a matter of when and I think the time is now. I subtracted it because I didn't want to overdo the exercise at the beginning and burn myself out. I thought my gym workouts would be of an intensity where I was maxed out. As it turns out, I think I'm handling them well, without any days where I'm ready to check out by 4 or 5 p.m. "Pretend I'm not here," is what I tell the family on those occasional days. Ed King (King's Gym) said that one mistake beginning competitors make is to do too much, too soon. So I felt this confirmed my initial concerns. I guess I could argue that I've lost some fat and replaced its gravitational pull with muscle, but somehow, I doubt that's the case. I'll add one day of cardio for now, and maybe I'll add another if necessary, to bring myself back up to 6 days of exercise per week.

No comments: