Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Diet

I solved the protein powder problem. I switched brands and now I'm able to drink it dissolved in water. No need to fuss with shakes. Just mix and gulp. I ate very well last week, emphasizing lean protein, consuming veggies and limiting carbs to just a few like quinoa, sweet potatoes, brown rice and whole grain bread (with peanut butter because Glenn banished my reduced fat cream cheese). Restaurants can be a challenge, but Friday night I ate well, without compromising the culinary experience. I had pecan crusted trout and veggies. However, Saturday night I had a little trouble. We went to Maggiano's for a 7 p.m. reservation. I ate well the whole day but by that hour, I was hungry. They seated us a little late, then it took forever to place our order and for the food to arrive. When the bread showed up, I just took a little piece. Then another little piece. The evening unraveled from there. I ordered chicken piccata which was a safe choice (heavy on the lemon juice), but there were lots of other temptations on the table and I couldn't resist them because I was hungry. So I just wrote the night off as a dietary transgression, knowing that I'll be back on track the day after. I can report though that I didn't have any dessert, even though some cheesecake was staring me in the face. And I LOVE cheesecake. But being committed to a goal means making these kinds of sacrifices. At this point, I'd say that I'm hungrier to meet the goal than to consume the dessert.

No comments: