Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Protein powder

I met with Ed King, owner of King's Gym (www.kingsgymohio.com) two days ago for a boxing workout. It was intense, as it always is. We're maintaining weekly hour-long training sessions on Mondays, and he'll change our workout each time. For the boxing workout, I wore gloves and he wore some body armor that protected the front of his torso. I thought that might have been a little excessive because I don't punch hard or well, but he said I should punch with force. My jabs and hooks really couldn't hurt anybody, but I gave him what he asked for. I still think he would have been fine without the armor. Anyway, he looked over a list of everything I eat and recommended that I take more protein powder. Two scoops a day is where I should be. So my present challenge is how to consume it. I ordinarily put the vanilla flavored variety in my oatmeal for breakfast, but I eat that every other day, which is not enough. Last night, I tried putting it in a cup of tea (I know, ick!), but there is such a thing as vanilla tea.... I dumped the scoop in and heated it in the microwave. OMG! The powder turned into something resembling tofu! I dumped it out and tried again, this time dissolving it first by stirring. That worked. I drank it all. But I had a sneaking suspicion that protein powder probably shouldn't be heated. I looked it up on the internet and discovered that no, it shouldn't be. That denatures the protein. So I'm struggling a bit to figure this one out. I did dissolve it once in water and drank it straight, but that was a little challenging. Today, I put it in my cottage cheese with tons of fresh strawberries. Um, I might be able to get used to that. But I still need some new ideas.

No comments: