Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dropping body fat

My day started with a text message at 9 a.m. from Glenn, one of my trainers (www.bodywize.net). "U better bring it today. Gonna whoop up on ya." First, I was excited. This felt like a dare and that's highly motivating. Except later, I started thinking that all his workouts are tough, so what exactly is he going to do with me today that will qualify as harder?? I had a little nervous anxiety leading up to 11 when we met at the gym. His method is to follow a circuit of about 5 exercises that tap each muscle group, then repeat the circuit 3 or 4 times. We started with bench presses of 65 lbs. I severely struggled as I approached rep #10. We used a lat machine, then he had me squat with 15 lb. dumb bells on each shoulder, followed by a leap up. He brought a 25 lb. bag of grain which I held on alternating shoulders as I lunged forward, alternating legs. For two of the circuits, I raised it overhead. When it was over, I felt quite a sense of accomplishment. Then he told me we need to take a measure of my body fat to determine how much weight I need to lose and at what rate. The results: 26.75% body fat, 83.5 lean mass and 30 lbs of fat. I need to get to 10 or 11% body fat. That works out to be a loss of about 12 lbs. I weigh 114 now. The goal is to lose the weight at a rate of 1/2 lb. per week, giving me 22 weeks to get the job done. That lands a few weeks before the competition which is a reasonable amount of time. Which is not to say that it will be easy. At the same time that I'm losing fat, I will be gaining muscle (and muscle weighs more than fat). It's all kind of abstract, but I left with one piece of concrete information, courtesy of Glenn. No more Prego on my whole grain pasta. :< Instead, he recommends using vinegar. Yikes.

No comments: