Monday, September 6, 2010

Time out/Wiped out

I took a big time out yesterday. I was wiped out. I also was sore from Friday's deadlifts - 3 sets of 20 reps with a 40 lb. barbell. Having hamstrings that hurt is really annoying, every time you take a step. I should have run a mile last night, but no way. Plus, after my 1,500 calories for the day was reached with dinner, I was still hungry later in the evening. This has happened before and it's a matter of degree. Sometimes I eat something innocuous like sauteed mushrooms or carrots at 10 p.m. Last night I went for the hummus. Probably not the greatest idea but I didn't care. This morning the scale said 105.2 so it didn't do any harm. I'll probably break into the 104s very soon.

Speaking of wipe outs, I've watched 2 terrific surfing documentaries this weekend and I highly recommend them. Both are 90 minutes long and shot all over the world. "Step into Liquid" was the first and it was technically amazing. The things these guys and a few women can do on a board are bold, daring and fascinating. Really spellbinding. They're very competitive with each other which pushed them to be even crazier. The height and strength of the waves suggest the very real possibility of death or injury, too. In one case, it was the latter. One guy made a habit of facing the open water rather than the beach when he surfed. OK...

The other movie is a classic from 1964, "The Endless Summer," a reference to 2 guys traveling around the globe to find waves and summer in Africa, New Zealand and Tahiti, to name a few of the many beach locations to which they dragged their boards. This movie is very much a product of its time period with 1960's cars, hair/clothing styles and the cheesy background music found in everything filmed from that age. One wild discovery made in Tahiti was a cove where the waves broke heading away from shore, so they surfed them in the reverse direction. On the cape of S. Africa where the Indian Ocean meets the Atlantic Ocean, they learned that there is a 20 degree temperature difference in the water within a short distance. In Durban, on the southeast coast, they needed to surf some enormous sand dunes to get to the beach. In Ghana, way up north nearly on the equator, they met up with conditions where the air was about 100 degrees, there was tremendous humidity and the water was 90 degrees. Insane!

No comments: