Friday, September 24, 2010

8 days to go

I should be going to the gym today, but my muscles are totally fried from what has probably been my hardest workout week. There is a point of diminishing return and working out today would definitely cross that line. My trainers did full body workouts with me, plus hill running on the non-gym days. Glenn added another up-and-down lap for a total of 6, plus he increased by 10 lbs. the weight of the sack of oats I carry for 3 of the laps (up from 25 to 35 lbs.). Every part of me needs a short break. My legs are close to shaking if I make any extra demands of them. My feet hurt, too, from practicing in the heels I'll wear for the competition. I'll go back to the gym tomorrow.

I weigh 103.4 right now. The end of the line is 102-point-whatever, in terms of my actual weight. When the water weight starts draining, it will go lower, but that's artificial and highly temporary. I'm satisfied with these numbers.

The thing that has me feeling VERY cranky is the loss of all salt, starting Sunday and lasting until the competition on Saturday. My food is going to taste extremely objectionable and I'm not looking forward to it. I bought a no-salt seasoning, but really, that isn't going to help all that much. The key to my whole diet since Aug. 1 has been to use seasoned salts and rubs (next to no calories! very flavorful! part of my salt-is-my-new-sugar mantra). I haven't had a bad food week yet, so I probably shouldn't complain about finally having one. Still, it's going to be unpleasant.

The other dramatic dietary change is the requirement to drink more water starting Sunday. I'll need to consume a gallon every day until Friday night before the competition, then I won't really drink again until after the Saturday morning judging. I can have a few sips Saturday morning so I'm not parched, but that's it. This water increase means that I'm making no plans except for running to the bathroom to pee every 30 seconds, I mean 30 minutes. Seriously, it's going to suck.

These two elements are supposed to have a dramatic impact on my look. I know that my posing suit pictures don't reveal tons of muscle, but I can guarantee that it's there, and these additional changes in my diet will express it further. So I hope everyone is grossly underestimating me - :> - so I can offer a big surprise with my competition photos. The tan will make a huge difference, as well as all the other factors that my look needs (pumping up, good lighting and draining the water held in my skin).

Final note. I've watched 2 more "extreme" movies and I need to recommend them. "Steep" features the craziest skiing you've ever seen. If miles of remote pure vertical drop isn't enough, then why not launch yourself off of a cliff with nothing below you and your skis, then shortly afterward, hit your parachute button and glide back down to earth. Another is "Extreme," a National Geographic program, featuring skiing and surfing AND wind surfing to the max. These guys take off from the top of an enormous wave, then flip and fly for a few seconds, seeming to defy gravity, until they touch down and take off in the surf from the high winds. Absoltuely breath-takingly stunning.

No comments: