Friday, September 17, 2010

Advice from Massive Mark

I've seen Massive Mark at the gym on numerous occasions and we generally give each other a nod and that's all, but today, I think we were both more interested in conversation than work. So we chatted. That's how I finally learned his name. And when I attach "massive," I mean huge! I also learned that he'll be 42 next month like me, and he'll be attending the competition on Oct. 2 with a bunch of his other bodybuilding buddies.

I bring him up here because he was generous enough to give me some good advice about competing. No, he wasn't hitting on me (that's what you do for some gain and he wasn't after anything) but maybe he was flirting which is harmless. Ok, with that out of the way, he explained how important it is to be confident on stage. It's all in your face, he says. It doesn't lie. Everyone there is thinking the same thing, he said. "I look good, but...." NO "BUT"!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO "BUT"! "You've got to go out there and know that you look the best you've ever looked and present that as confidence." This is not to be confused with cockiness, he said, although I suppose that might work, too, but that isn't me. He reinforced this point by saying that he has studied people's photos and seen the differences in expression between those at the top and those who placed lower.

In a close competition where several women have similar shapes and dimensions, it's the little things that will separate them and send one ahead of another. If there's anywhere to reach for a little edge, this is one of those places. Massive Mark seemed to believe in me and that felt good. It makes me believe in myself a little more, and every little bit matters. I feel like it was kinda serendipitous and karmic that we had this conversation today.

No comments: