Thursday, September 16, 2010

Extreme...or not?

When I first told trainer Ed King at King's Gym back in February that I was thinking about training for a bodybuilding competition, he warned me that such an activity is an extreme sport. He wasn't taunting or teasing me, just being matter of fact. But that sort of intensified my interest.

I'm not an extreme person in style or conduct, and I rarely engage in anything that could be considered remotely extreme. Of course, "extreme" is a matter of definition, and one person's "extreme" might be another's cakewalk.

But the thought stuck with me as I began my training. I'm doing something extreme! Yay! How bold and daring of my typically conventional self! I've crossed a boundary and now I'm on treading on some wild turf! Whooppee!

So here I am, closing in on competition time and I've been reflecting on whether or not I really believe I've done anything extreme. I think part of my problem with definitively answering the question is deciding what qualifies as extreme to me. I recently mentioned watching a couple of surfing documentaries and I knew as I witnessed guys taking 20 foot waves that their sport qualified as extreme.

What I believe is that I've demonstrated some extreme discipline.

I've lifted heavy weight, I've adhered to a strict diet and I haven't really taken a break in my 6-day-a-week workout schedule during the entire 6 months, but for a day or two due to exhaustion (as opposed to slothfulness). Are these extreme undertakings? Not in and of themselves. But I think that, when combined and sustained for an extended period (I believe 6 months qualifies), they amount to extremism, in the neighborhood of discipline.

I love a solid challenge, I like to defy expectations and I enjoy the sense of accomplishment that accompanies achieving a goal. Whether or not I do well in the competitions is somewhat beside the point. My goal revolved around building muscle, losing fat and remaining healthy throughout the process. I've nailed all three (I've got a 6 pack to prove it!) and that gives me an extreme sense of satisfaction.

That being said, doing well in the competitions still would make me extremely happy, but if I don't do well, I hope that I'm not extremely disappointed. Of course, "doing well" is a matter of definition.

No comments: