Saturday, June 5, 2010

Something highly alarming

A friend gave me a copy of an article from Consumer Reports concerning an analysis of protein powders. What they found is that some of the products contain the toxic metals arsenic, lead, cadmium and mercury. WTF?? This is totally unacceptable. Here is a link for an article summary, though it is just a cursory glimpse at the facts (the full article requires a subscription): http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety/2010/06/consumer-reports-protein-drink-investigation-.html. For the past 3 months, I have been using 3 different protein powders. Why? So that I don't need to pick just one. Also, this strategy spreads around the technology. Maybe one offers something that another doesn't. My new plan is to dump the Muscle Milk and EAS brands which didn't rate so well in the report and stick with Designer Whey which uses no artificial sweeteners, unlike the other two, and it's available online. I always felt that the natural sweetener feature alone made it superior to the others anyway. I take about 50 grams of protein through powder daily, so I think its composition matters.

No comments: