Monday, June 28, 2010

How to put a "spark" in your day

Michelle introduced me to a new website that has many features, one of which is calculating the nutritional elements of the food you eat. It's not magic - it requires lots of data entry. It's called Sparkpeople.com and she wants me to use it to determine, with precision, how many calories I'm consuming, as well as protein and fat. I haven't entirely figured out the site because it's a little confusing, but Michelle loves it and finds it easy to use, so it must be me. But if I spend more time with it, maybe it won't be as challenging. I will continue to work on it. I believe that it's a good idea, too. However, it requires the food item to be in front of you to enter all of its components. For everything else without packaging, one can consult nutritiondata.com. Once that info. is entered, then it's easily retrieved for repeated consumption and future calculations. And while I'm mentioning food, I discovered another protein packed yogurt - Siggi's, an Icelandic style that's THICK (as in, it won't fall off your spoon), non-fat, 0% milkfat with no artificial sweeteners and no growth hormones. 120 calories per container, 16 grams of protein, 20% of total required calcium, 11 grams of sugar from agave nectar. Now that I've detailed its composition, I can say that, after consuming the pomegranate & passion fruit flavor, it's only ok, not great. I'll try blueberry next. At the very least, I fully endorse its ingredients.

No comments: