Friday, August 13, 2010

Food Finds



Recently, I discovered a new food (pictured) that I'm excited about and plan to incorporate into my diet on a long-term basis. It's known as farro or spelt, and it's an ancient grain with a nutty flavor. That being said, its consistency is more like risotto, the thick Italian rice. It's sold in regular grocery stores, though not every one will necessarily carry it. One cup has 246 calories which is probably average for a carb using that volume, but it has 11 grams of protein which is highly attractive. Recipes can be found on the package or online.

here's another piece of food info. that I recently learned and want to share: strawberries have half the calories of other fruit of the variety one might consider throwing in her cereal or oatmeal like blueberries or raspberries. In my world, this kind of difference is big. A cup of strawberries has 46 calories/11 carbs as compared to blueberries which have 81 calories/21 carbs. Of course, blueberries have lots of other nutritional properties that I wouldn't want to miss so I'll continue to eat them, but I'm going to put strawberries into the rotation more frequently. I customarily avoided them because - dare I say it - they're a little more work than the other berries with the cutting that's required. I can be really lazy like that. But I just cut a whole bunch into quarters and put them in a container in the fridge, so I'm set for a little while.

No comments: