Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Diet modifications

Trainer Glenn recommended that I cut out the whole grain bread I eat (with next-to-no-calorie jelly) on alternating mornings. The bread is very high calorie, especially compared to the steel cut oats I eat on the other mornings. I made the change last Friday and I thought I'd miss it, but I don't really think about it. I guess I just try to savor something else instead like...my cup of tea with 2% milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar. I know that's kinda British of me and sorta naughty, but as long as I can get away with it, I intend to. He also cut out all dairy, like cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt because they contain some carbs and he's looking to reduce a few of those sources. I spent the weekend without all of these items and - shocker - I lost a pound by this morning. It's shocking because Sat. is a rest day and Sunday was 20 minutes of swimming laps, not exactly the heaviest calorie burner. But that's Glenn's theory - weight loss through diet manipulation and muscle development, not heavy cardio. However, I met with Michelle today for posing and nutrition consulting and she thought I should reinstate the dairy. Conflicting advice like this is one of the challenges accompanying working with 2 trainers. So, I thought about it and realized that subtracting the yogurt deprived me of 14 grams of protein and the cheese loss deprived me of some more protein and some fat which, semi-surprisingly, I'm a little short on. But if you eat a diet heavy on protein and veggies and low or no fat carbs, you easily can miss the mark (mine is anywhere from 27 to 60 grams and many days I've only been at 18). So I'll put those items back into rotation, in a measured way. Instead of daily yogurt, I'll see how the day is going and only eat it if I need the protein. I've been pushing my carbs down in the day, trying not to eat any after lunch, and I think this method continues to be effective with weight loss. One other issue...I completely fell off the water wagon. The week we were on vacation proved very disruptive to the gallon-a-day habit. I still haven't returned to it. So that's a total of 2 1/2 weeks that I've strayed. I can't seem to get my act together. I plan to try harder starting tomorrow.

No comments: