Friday, August 13, 2010

Alarming Development

Glenn did a body mass assessment yesterday, this one coming two weeks since our last one. I thought my numbers might come out good, with some further loss of fat since the scale has been dropping. MOSTLY WRONG! I lost 2 lbs. of muscle and 1 lb. of fat. This wrecked my afternoon and sent me into a complete mental and emotional tailspin. The problem is that 1,350 calories is not enough for me. My body consumed muscle in the absence of what it needed. Freakin great. I'm 7 weeks away from the competition and I'm supposed to be building muscle, not stripping it away. I worked really really hard to build it and in 2 weeks, I lost some of it. So this is extremely upsetting. I went on a minor food bender and ate a bunch of stuff in the fridge by late afternoon.

No wonder I've been feeling like I'm starving myself for the last 2 weeks. Needless to say, the calories are going up today, back to at least 1,500, and we'll see where that gets me. I was doing fine with that amount before. I'm also going up to increase my protein and decrease my carbs a bit. I realize that this whole process is largely trial and error, and also that the body tries to engage counter measures to adjust to whatever stresses you place on it. I'll do another assessment in 2 weeks and hopefully, the results will be better.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to get some highlights in my hair soon. I feel like it's time to make a subtle change.

Next week: training with Vonda on Monday and the posing suit fitting on Wed.

No comments: