Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fake tanning and other artifice

Yesterday, I scheduled my tanning session for the Oct. 2nd competition. This is some lady's business and she must be following the competition circuit around the country, charging $50 for the basic tan. I'm not sure what that means and whether anything else besides "basic" is required, but I'll find out. Michelle explained that this person sets herself up in a room at the host hotel, creating a space that's entirely covered in plastic for the spray on process. She clusters the appointments by gender and I think I know why. Nudity. Clients need to strip it down to get complete coverage. I'm not quite sure how the logistics of this will play out, but I've known about it for a while, so I've made mental adjustments. Plus, this is her job, she's seen thousands of bare butts and what not, so what the heck. My appointment is at 6:30 p.m., the Friday night before the Saturday event. This tan is highly mobile, meaning it will come off on sheets and anything else, but it washes out with proper treatment. Sleeping naked is advised. Touch ups the next day are required and the tanning lady has another set up at the competition location - nudity not required. The process does not include one's face, so that must be addressed separately with make-up. With this in mind, I approached the MAC counter at Nordstrom's last week and met a sweet artist who coincidentally (and I don't think she was BS'g me) has worked on bodybuilders many times, even going to shows to do make-up the day of the event. I don't think that's necessary, but I could use some instruction. She showed me some super dark foundation that she recommends for matching up with the tan. It looked like coffee with cream. I'm also interested in having her teach me how to create with eye make-up a more dramatic look for the stage, to appear more polished and less pedestrian. I'll schedule a session with her sometime in the next few weeks.

No comments: