Sunday, August 15, 2010

The BOD POD


Monday morning, I'm going to have my body composition measured by the most accurate method available. The device being used is called a Bod Pod (pictured), something professional athletes frequently use. Basically, the pod measures the volume of space you consume within the chamber, then a technician is able to breakdown how much of your space is composed of fat and lean mass. I have no idea how that's done, but I will soon find out. All that's required of me is to sit in the chamber for about 30 seconds. I also need to wear tight clothing (workout wear will suffice) and I'll be provided with a tight cap to compress my hair because it takes up space that we don't want to measure.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm a little obsessed with these numbers. Why? I guess because they are a quantifiable measure of my progress. I'm also not so sure that the caliper method is 100% reliable. This seems like a quick, harmless and easy way to get a very accurate result. It costs $25 and the service is offered at a gym not far away. As of last Thursday, Glenn's measurement had me at 19% body fat. So I'm very curious to see where the pod places me. I'll report the results here Monday afternoon.

No comments: