Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Taking some inches off.....the length of my hair

After seeing a bodybuilding competition in March, then imagining myself up there doing the identical posing moves, I made a quick decision. I need to cut my hair to make it shorter. At least 6 inches shorter, by the time October gets here. For me, this is a matter of strategy. It's about covering up or at least obscuring an imbalance in my trapezius muscles, created over a 30-year period during which my left arm has seen about 75% greater usage than my right arm, the one that shakes. Why the imbalance primarily rests there, I can't exactly explain, but it's all about how I compensate in daily life. In a competition, one major element of the judging covers muscle symmetry and balance. In my case, I feel that the difference between the two sides is unmistakable. Since March, however, I think I've made some gains on my right side and maybe the imbalance is not as significant, but when I flex, it's still apparent. The muscles between my shoulder and neck on the left side are, quite simply, wicked strong. So I'm sticking with the original plan. The added benefit is that I won't need to sweep my hair off my back for greater exposure during the back pose. The big deal there is it will break my concentration which will be 200% focused on every muscle in my body and on keeping my right arm as steady as possible. I just can't be bothered with rearranging my hair, like most of the girls do. I've had my hair cut above my shoulders before, so having it just below my shoulders doesn't seem like a huge sacrifice, despite what will be a dramatic diminished length compared to where it is now and will be in a few months. But I see myself as a true competitor, and a competitor does whatever it takes to achieve her goal.

No comments: