Monday, July 12, 2010

A Measure of Progress

Progress sometimes can be hard to measure when you engage in an activity over a long stretch of time. But with weightlifting, it's a little more obvious. This is what struck me today when I worked out with trainer Ed. Back in March or April, he had me doing walking lunges with 8 lb. dumbbells in each hand. The next day, I had some extreme quad pain. And the day after that, it hurt worse. Today, he had me doing this as part of a super set that involved 2 other exercises. No problem! I could talk the whole time and not struggle a bit. I wasn't entirely surprised because I use 12.5 lb. dumbbells during my independent gym work. And trainer Glenn always has me using 17.5 and 20 lb. dumbbells in each hand with lower body work. The experience with Ed gave me a sense of accomplishment and clear evidence of increased strength. That felt good. I don't know where my outer limits are, but I don't think I've hit them. I've seen women at the gym work with 17.5 lb. dumbbells for upper body work and the thought that always goes through my head is "Never!" But maybe not. I don't have any particular weight goals for myself, but it's funny how the unimaginable sometimes because possible.

No comments: