Sunday, October 3, 2010

The more I think about it...

the more I realize that I didn't stand a chance in the competition. My trainers believed that I could get away with posing the way I did, with my right hand stabilized on my right hip which broke the strict rules on how to position yourself. I think we miscalculated, but we also had no choice. I couldn't do it any other way. So the choice was to do it wrong or not do it at all. We took our chances. I think the outcome, in some measure, setting all other factors aside, can confirm this.

I also think that the first time you do anything, there is a learning curve and this activity certainly had its arc. If I had to sum up the day, I'd say it wasn't all that much fun, but it was intense, interesting and memorable. And painful, both physically and emotionally.

And guess what? My muscles look better today. Fuller, with more pop. I'll need to talk to the trainers about that one. I'm afraid that the "dehydration" process strips the muscles of water, too, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to avoid that outcome.

I further binged on food last night with a glass of pinot noir, actual salad dressing instead of vinegar, and dessert - cheesecake! - with my dinner.

Again, as soon as I have access to pictures, I'll post them here. My family members didn't take any because I wanted them to show up and be spectators and not get caught up with photography.

I've received feedback from friends and this is some of what they had to say:

"No matter how you see it, I see the experience as a huge accomplishment. Getting into shape. The diet. The exercise. The discipline. The logistics of the show. And managing the emotions that that went into all of it. Not having gone through it creates a lot of stress by itself. I'm still very proud of the fact that you just went and did it. It shows amazing strength. Most people could not do what you did yesterday let alone take the journey to get there."

"You looked AWESOME today and I give you so much credit for doing this. You worked your ass off (not that it was big to begin with!) and it showed on stage. I am so proud of you to have the courage and balls to stand up there. Now...when are we going for a real dinner and drinks????"

No comments: